Sunday, October 21, 2007

Watch out for that ...

When driving at night, many of us are in the habit of watching for deer to cross the road in front of us. Having grown up in the Midwest, it's amazing if I made it through life there without hitting a deer (although I've had a close call or two).

In Florida, apparently deer aren't the problem.

I'm driving back from the Gulf coast Saturday night (see my post attached to Dorsey's post about places to eat in Tallahassee) and get into Apalachicola National Forest. So I start watching for deer.

As I round a curve, something catches the corner of my eye on the passenger side of the car. A quick glance tells me it's a BEAR running in the ditch. Maybe it had been trying to cross the road and saw my car coming, so aborted his attempt. I didn't get a good look at him -- just at some bear patoooky running away from me -- but he was a pretty good size.

Can you imagine the fight you'd have with the rental car company if you hit a bear?

(In case you're wondering: "patoooky" is the approved Carol-Lyn spelling for that word.)

1 comment:

dtidanielle said...

Having spent about 3 decades living in Florida, I must express absolute shock at your bear-sighting. Alligators? Yes. Snapping turtles? You betcha. Cockroaches? By the dozen. But I have never run across a bear. That cracks me up. Maybe it's a Northern Florida thing...